Saturday, December 23, 2017

Russian Horse Artillery

Given the lack of options for russian horse artillery in plastics 1/72, I endevoured to find another solution to complete my artillery, and came across these fellows, in resin, so I purchased 6 kits - 2 batteries' worth of guns.

This is definitely not the best material for this scale, due to it's fragility, a few bits snapped during assembly and/or painting, but I managed to glue them back without much trouble. My hope is that, being artillery, mounted on large bases, they'll be durable enough since, as usual for my 1/72, there will be no touching the minis proper once they're finished and based - all handling is done from their bases.

A couple excessively fragile items, such as the ramming rods, which were very thin, I substituted for some plastic ones I had on spares. Also a couple guns, just because I had some left in plastic, and I trust them better than resin.

IMG_20171223_161330799_HDR

The models are well sculpted, but a bit on the larger side - on par with Italeri's 1/72, I'd say.

Their helmets come with early war crests, which is the best option, since you can (as I did) trim them into late war style if that suits you better.

IMG_20171223_161428552_HDR

IMG_20171223_161431968_HDR

IMG_20171223_161437534_HDR

IMG_20171223_161533934_HDR

IMG_20171223_161555073_HDR

And here they are alongside my recently painted horse artillery limber, which featured here on the blog a couple posts ago. I now have 1 limber for every battery of russian artillery (whether foot or horse), which will be my standard for all other armies.

IMG_20171223_161623449_HDR

10 comments:

  1. They look excellent Matt! Can you tell us who the manufacturer of these figures is?

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Peter, he used to have a website (napoleonfigurines.com) which is currently closed, but you can find him on ebay:surfeur_fou

      Delete
  2. Very nice, Matt. Did you look into using HaT Russian Russian dragoon or cuirassier heads? Maybe the resin route is cheaper, but like you, I worry about durability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Problem is, I need dismounted dragoons, a simple head swap wouldn't do, the horse artillery uniform is entirelly different from foot.

      Delete
  3. Well done Matt, cool figures, horses and fantastic bases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are quite interesting figures, and, as usual, excellent painting.
    One limber per battery - I am lucky to have one per army, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What material do you use for the bases? Nice job as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great paintjob. I am with you, resin is terrible material and often breaks. I prefer metals to them.

    cheers
    uwe

    ReplyDelete